The ancillary building of Govan and Linthouse Church is part of a category B listed complex of exceptionally fine buildings that define Govan Cross. Designed in a Gothic style by architect Robert Baldie in 1873, the building features a square stone bell tower with bell intact but not ringing! The ground floor houses shop and café units, whilst the upper storey contains the church hall and church officer’s house and office.
In 2016 the church office hall and flat were not in use due to the need for urgent structural and repair works. Dry rot and water ingress threatened the building’s future. The required works were primarily high level including stonework re-pointing, stripping and slating using existing slates, re-leading of the roof, cast iron rainwater goods, window and structural repairs.
Govan Cross wouldn’t be Govan Cross without Govan & Linthouse Church (formerly St Mary’s). Due to its high heritage value, prominent location and poor deteriorating condition the THI prioritised bringing this important landmark back into a good state of repair. The works to the ancilliary building complement similar works completed to the sanctuary by the Church of Scotland in 2017, with both buildings hosting a wide and growing range of community uses – check out Narnia!
Estimated Cost: Start £493,000
Timescale: Complete Dec 2018
Funders: Glasgow City Council, Heritage Lottery Fund, Historic Environment Scotland, Church of Scotland
Project Team: Page & Park
Up on the roof….