The statue of Sir William Pearce – known locally as ‘The Black Man’ – occupies a prominent position on the gushet of Burleigh Street and Govan Road, across from the Pearce Institute.
The statue was designed by Edward Onslow Ford and built in 1894 as a tribute to Sir William Pearce, under whose management Fairfields Shipyard became the leading shipbuilding company in the world. It consists of a blackened bronze figure of Pearce holding a plan, set atop a tall granite base.
The statue is B-listed in recognition of it’s national importance, however it is now in need of some TLC. As part of Govan Cross Townscape Heritage Initiative the statue will be returned to its former glory through a programme of restoration and bronze cleaning.The missing cast iron railings will also be replaced to match the original detail.
And there are lots of opportunities to get involved in this project by taking part in both a bronze cleaning event and an interpretation project to uncover the story of William Pearce. Go to our Get Involved pages or sign up for our newsletter to get more information.
Work to restore the Pearce Statue commenced on 15 April 2013. The big reveal will take place at 7.45pm on Friday 7 June as part of the Govan Fair Parade – don’t miss it!
Estimated Cost: £30,000
Timescale: Site start April 2013 – Estimated completion by 7 June 2013.
Funders: Glasgow City Council, Heritage Lottery Fund
Project Team: Glasgow City Council Land & Environment Services, Covanburn (conservator).