Number 1 Water Row is an important, A-listed, red sandstone tenement building that occupies a prominent site on Govan Cross at the corner of Water Row and Govan Road. It was designed in 1899 by James Salmon & Son and J.G. Gillespie, who was born in Govan. It comprises a Bank on the ground floor with four levels of tenement flats above.
The building required comprehensive repair and overhauling, particularly the roof, which had been letting in water for some time. Its run-down appearance detracted from the character of the building and Govan conservation area. Because of this, the prominent location of the building, and its architectural significance, 1 Water Row was targeted as one of the ‘priority’ building repair projects to be completed through Govan Cross Townscape Heritage Initiative Phase 1.
The project succeeded in bringing the external fabric of 1 Water Row into a good state of repair, in line with best conservation practice.
The building is located at a pivotal location opposite Govan Interchange and the newly refurbished public square at Govan Cross and on the route to the Govan Ferry. As such, improving its appearance through carrying out the building repair has had a high impact – enhancing the character of the Conservation Area, improving the attractiveness of the streetscape, as well as increasing confidence in the regeneration of Govan.
Cost: Circa £450,000
Timescale: Complete in 2014
Funders: Govan Cross THI (Heritage Lottery Fund & Glasgow City Council), Private Owners contributions
Project Team: ZM Architecture, NBM Construction Cost Consultants, John Fulton Plumbers