Isabella Elder really knew how to give a gift that lasts. For 136 years the people of Govan have been making great use of their gift of Elder Park as a place to learn, gather and grow. In 2021, a wide range of activities was planned to get more people involved in park life and, in particular, the fabulous restoration of the Elder Park Entrance at Govan Road and the K13 Memorial.
Drawn up in consultation with local groups and residents, the “Mrs Elder’s Glorious Gift” activity plan aimed to enable local residents and enthusiasts to engage in the restoration process, experience traditional materials and methodologies, and to explore and celebrate Elder Park’s history and heritage.
Although Covid 19 curtailed some of the original planned activities, there were still plenty of opportunities to get involved in this celebration of Mrs Elder’s Glorious Gift.
- Digital Timeline – help to continue developing this online trove of interesting park facts, stories, images – who knows where it will go!
- Test yourself with the Elder Park Quiz! Get your thinking cap on and see if you can top the leaderboards with these questions about Elder Park
- Kids’ Park Heritage Trail – Help us to develop & test out this family fun activity in Elder Park
- Restoration Learning – learn about the traditional skills and materials being used in the Gateway and K13 Memorial restoration. A film is being made to go behind the scenes with talented crafts people while they work on the Elder Park Entranceway.
- The Elder Park Craft Attack – get out the needles and pins and let’s get Elder Park dressed to impress
- Elder Park Talks – we are working to develop a digital offering for Glasgow Doors Open Days Festival 2021
- K13 Memorial Re-dedication Event
- Music in the Park – Isabella Elder’s Deed of Gift requested that there be music in the park. We’re excited to support the Friends of Elder Park as they seek to bring this part of the deed to life!
The restoration of Elder Park’s Govan Road Entrance & the K13 Memorial as well as the Mrs Elder’s Glorious Gift project was delivered as part of Govan Cross Townscape Heritage Initiative in collaboration with Glasgow Building Preservation Trust with funding from Heritage Lottery Fund, Historic Environment Scotland and Glasgow City Council. Proposals are being co-ordinated by Chani Bond, Heritage Engagement Officer.
Go on, get into Govan with Mrs Elder’s Glorious Gift. More updates will be posted here soon and on Friends of Elder Park website.
Contact us : email@example.com