Isabella Elder really knew how to give a gift that lasts. For 135 years the people of Govan have been making great use of their gift of Elder Park as a place to learn, gather and grow. Now, in summer 2020 through to October 2021, a wide range of activities is planned to get more people involved in park life and, in particular, the fabulous restoration of the Elder Park Entrance at Govan Road and the K13 Memorial.
Drawn up in consultation with local groups and residents, the “Mrs Elder’s Glorious Gift” activity plan will have something for everyone. It aims to enable local residents and enthusiasts to engage in the restoration process, experience traditional materials and methodologies, and to discover and share more about wonderful Elder Park – its heritage and its future uses.
Activities are outlined below but please remember dates (once published) and format may be subject to change in order to adhere to prevailing Covid-19 restrictions. If there is an activity you think is appropriate but missing then let us know at email@example.com and we can adapt to fit
- Park Detective – a chance for you to research aspects of Elder Park’s heritage and the upcoming restoration works and to share the content with others
- Digital Timeline – help create an online trove of interesting park facts, stories, images – who knows where it will go!
- Kids’ Park Heritage Trail and Event – family fun in Elder Park
- “Park life” Creative Writing – ever fancied putting pen to paper? Now is your chance. For all ages.
- Restoration Learning – learn about the traditional skills and materials being used in the Gateway and K13 Memorial restoration: stone craving, foundry visit, mini-foundry event in park.
- Sowing & Growing Events – sowing seeds for the future
- Craft Bombing – get out the needles and pins and let’s get Elder Park dressed to impress
- Elder Park Talks – themed talks of your choice – requests so far include the K13 Submarine Disaster, Cast-Iron Restoration Master Class, and the benefactress herself, Isabella Elder.
- K13 Memorial Re-dedication Event
- Music in the Park – Isabella Elder’s Deed of Gift requested that there be music in the park. Can we bring some music back?
The restoration of Elder Park’s Govan Road Entrance & the K13 Memorial as well as the Mrs Elder’s Glorious Gift project is being delivered as part of Govan Cross Townscape Heritage Initiative in collaboration with Glasgow Building Preservation Trust with funding from Heritage Lottery Fund, Historic Environment Scotland and Glasgow City Council. Proposals are being co-ordinated by Chani Bond, Heritage Engagement Officer.
Go on, get into Govan with Mrs Elder’s Glorious Gift. More updates will be posted here soon and on Friends of Elder Park website.